Home Forums Go Move Challenge 2016 Sleep Better

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

We all know that sleep is essential for general health, immunity, muscle recovery, fighting fat, and keeping us looking young and fresh. Exchange your sleep tips and insights here!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I read for atleast 10 minutes a night before I go to bed. It doesn’t sound like very long, but it helps me to sleep!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

All electronics OFF at least an hour before bedtime. Minimize the blue light thats emitted from TVs, computers, phones, etc.

Even better- no electronics in the bedroom! My digital alarm clock works just as great and provides no distractions!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I have a hard time staying asleep once I fall asleep. I’ve been using Melatonin as a “natural” sleep remedy but I’m wondering if there are other tips and tricks besides taking a pill every night…? falling asleep isn’t really the challenge but waking up randomly at 2 or 3 am…not fun.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

What the best way to figure out how much sleep a person really needs? I was going to bed early, but then waking up at 2am. When I go to bed later I don’t get up in the middle of the night as much? Wondering if I need 7-8 hours or if I’m ok with 6?

suzy kisylia
      Keymaster
      University of San Francisco

Everyone is different. The suggested sleep is 7-9 hours, but as we get older we need less sleep. If you’re feeling energized with 6 hours of sleep, then you are probably aok.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Although hard to accepted given modern advertising and expectations, waking up in the middle of the night was, at one time, viewed as normal.  It may even help you (to eventually fall back to sleep) just knowing waking in the middle of the night was a (historically) normal expectation.  Avoid, if possible, the “sleep stealers”:

http://www.prevention.com/health/why-you-wake-night

“First of all, understand that waking up in the middle of the night is completely normal and part of our human DNA, says Jose Colon, MD, founder of Paradise Sleep and author of ‘The Sleep Diet.'”

and

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/24/sleep-twice-a-night-anxiety

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Elly Cabral.
      Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Thank you Gary! Sometimes I think one gets caught up in this idea that things have always been one way. It’s interesting to note that at one time getting up in the middle of the night was considered normal. Also, I like to think that change is normal, like as we age maybe we don’t need 9 hours, and 6 is normal as Suzy says. I was almost stressing myself out thinking I wasn’t sleeping enough — and that was keeping me from sleeping.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.