Home Forums Go Move Challenge 2016 Exercising as a Parent

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Calling all parents! Share tips on how you are making exercise a priority while juggling other commitments.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I typically wake up bright and early to get my work out in.  During the week, I hit the gym around 4:30 so that I can get a good workout in and get back home to get ready for work and the kids ready and off to school.

suzy kisylia
      Keymaster
      University of San Francisco

I used to put the kids in a stroller and hit the road for a run to a farm where they could get out and pet the animals.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I typically workout early in the morning before anyone else wakes up. I workout from home so I can get the workout in and then get myself ready quickly. When it’s nice outside, when I get home I encourage my oldest to ride her bike while I push my youngest in the stroller. We also like family bike rides with the kids in carriers behind our bikes.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I use my lunch break typically to get my workout in. If I can’t do that, I have a spin bike at home that I hop on when my son is in bed. Weekends, I look at playing outside as exercise. My son is only two, but we’re working on introducing him to hiking so that we can do that as a family.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I agree with what others have said. My husband and I work out at either 5 am or 8 pm.  We split the week so no one gets stuck on the same schedule and keeps us moving.  We have three kids, 9, 5 and 5 months, so weekends are a juggling act.  It has been important to stick to the week schedule so the weekends can be free.

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Both my husband and I work out. During the week, he does the AM, typically 5AM before he has to be to work at 7AM. I do the morning routine with the kids (7 yrs and 2.5 yrs) and get them off to school. I work out in the evenings between 5 & 8PM. He picks up the kids and heats up the dinners, baths, etc.  We do this 4 out of 5 week days.  On the weekends, we run together with both kids in the jogging stroller.  GOTTA DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO. 🙂

suzy kisylia
        Keymaster

what team work!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Thanks for the inspiration! It’s good to see that others have found ways to make it work. Having a 6-month-old, I’m lucky if I make it to the gym more than once a week. Thankfully, he loves it when I dance with him! With daylight getting longer here, we’re finding more opportunities to take walks after work. If I wear him in the carrier, it’s like added weight resistance.

suzy kisylia
        Keymaster

once it warms up the park is also a great place to exercise. Pushing kids on the swing is a great arm workout and maybe even add a squat after the push off? It’s amazing how creative we can be when we need to:)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.