Home Forums Go Move Challenge 2016 Be Inspired

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

Need a little inspiration to get moving? How has the Go Move Challenge or fitness and wellness in general changed your life? Share your success stories here!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I love hearing about everyone’s inspiration!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I’m inspired by my son who perseveres on a daily basis. He doesn’t let anything get him down!

suzy kisylia
      Keymaster
      University of San Francisco

I was stuck on the treadmill due to the rain and not wanting to run outdoors. My goal was 7 miles and at 5 I texted my training partner that I’m only doing 5 because I’m bored to tears. She said great job. We do what we can. That was enough to make me want to finish up. I knew that if I didn’t I would regret it the rest of the day. Training partners are important. They help keep us motivated and can inspire us too!

Elly Cabral
      Keymaster

I’m 43 years old and fitness changed my life.

As a child, I was raised in Bowling Green Kentucky. I was the only Asian kid in school. I got spit on, pushed, shoved, punched walking down the halls and just bullied my whole childhood life. I was 95lbs in High school so you can see how I was an easy target. When I turned 32 years old, I looked in the mirror and still didn’t like what I saw. I decided right then and there I was going to get bigger. At age 32 I was 135lbs. I realized since I was an employee I could utilize the gym for free. I walked in and was immediately intimidated by all the young adults and how in shape they were. I almost quit the first week until one of my co-workers, Tom Randazzo looked me in the eye and said I need more confidence and that I’m doing this for me and not those students in the gym. Told me it would not happen over night and it would take a couple of years. Put some head phones in my ears and look at the ground and don’t think about the people around me.   It was a difficult journey but now at the age 43 I’m 180lbs and my max bench is 300lbs. My bench when I started was 65lbs. Now in this process I have helped a co-worker lose 95lbs, helped a very insecure student that was on suicide watch gain his confidence and graduate. Fitness has given me the confidence to be able to look people in the eye and know that I can push my self to accomplish my goals.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Elly Cabral.
        suzy kisylia
        Keymaster
        University of San Francisco

Adam, what an inspiring story and so amazing to see how you were able to help others. thank you for sharing.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.